Sunday, February 3, 2013

Siri: Reference Librarian of the Future?

When I first purchased an iPad at the beginning of the year I wasn't really interested in trying Siri out. My main phone in an Android phone and I am more experienced with similar features such as Google Now, but rarely use voice input.

It didn't occur to me until around the third week of this semester that technology such as predictive text, auto complete, and voice recognition could be the future of the traditional "reference desk" (or "information station"). I decided to ask Siri if she could be a reference librarian or simply a librarian. Displaying her well known "attitude problem" to me from the outset, her first answer was "I can see that as a possibility." Unfortunately, I had not yet figured out how to take a screenshot on an iPad, and repeated attempts to get the same response left me with nothing more than the "attitude" that she is known for ("I'm busy right now," "Can we change the topic," etc.).

It's scary to think that the role of a reference librarian could in the future be outsourced to an algorithm, but no one ever said that the future would necessarily be easy for everyone.

5 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the "If you insist" and "I can see that as a possibility" responses. It reminded me of those Magic 8 Balls that they used to sell in the toy stores that you would shake to get a random, generic answer to your questions such as "does such-and-such like me?" (hey, it was middle school...that was important). I guess my point is that I can see simple, straight-forward, factoid type reference questions being answered by AI reference bots, but I don't think we'll reach a point where complex questions can be answered by anyone other than a flesh and blood librarian for a long time yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voice input has come a long way since Dr. Sbaitso, an AI "psychiatrist" for SoundBlaster that came out in the early '90s (does anyone else remember this program?), but obviously, there's still a long way to go. I've had similar experiences when I asked Google questions on my Android tablet. So yeah, I think libraries and other sources of information manned by real human beings (newspapers, for example) are safe -- at least for now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually been surprised by the accuracy of the voice input on my android phone, but all I have tried have been simple queries, such as "navigate to fill-in-the-blank." But I agree with Maryska; when it comes to in depth research needs, an information professional will be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I remember voice recognition software in Windows 95 (not sure of the specific software), but it amazes the power of voice recognition software today as compared to how it was in the 90s. I think we are still some years away from having full AI integration into libraries, but when I look at automatic sorters, RFID, self-checkout, and outsourced 24/7 virtual reference, I do wonder about the future of our profession. As it is my Systems Admin loves to gloat that with the proper tech our 32K SqFt facility could be run by as little as 4 full time staff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am actually writing a post about Siri (sort of). Apparently Siri learns your voice after a while - I certainly hope so at least because sometimes she's extremely frustrating. And sometimes she's extremely helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete