Friday, April 26, 2013

Can you copy this for me?

I recently saw a situation similar to this at librarianproblems.com, but this recently happened to me at our reference desk.

Little Sparrow: I need you to make a copy of this for me.
*Man pulls out a black & white copy of a driver's license*
Me: No problem, that will just be $.15 for a black & white copy.
Little Sparrow: I actually need a color copy.
Me: No problem, I just need your original license.
Little Sparrow: You mean you can't turn this *holds up black & white copy* into color?


Me: I'm sorry, it doesn't work like that. If you can come back with the original I will be more than happy to help you out.


***

Hope everyone has enjoyed this blog and has a great summer! (unless you are taking Genealogy for Maymester, in which case I'll see you there!)

3 comments:

  1. This is only kind of related, but I love it when people send me tiny digital photos (like 100x100 pixels) and ask if we can print them in the newspaper. When I tell them no, we need something higher-quality, they ask, "You mean, you can't just make it bigger?" Sure, if you want your image to look like a giant mess of pixels!

    Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your blog this semester! Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 x 100px would't even work as a Facebook profile photo! I know you are at the AJC, but I would totally have to troll someone that sent in an image that small. Maybe something to the effect of turning the image into an 8-bit and enlarging it with added 8-bit effects. "Oh look honey it's our wedding announcement!" "Dear why does it look like we are fighting in a Megaman game?"

    But yeah, stuff like this is just the tip of the Public Library iceberg. For instance last year I was handed an 8-ball at the reference desk. The guy found it in our computer lab and was going to put it in the waste basket in front of the desk (where any kid could have pulled it out). I asked him for it, put it on my horrified bosses desk, and called the cops. A couple of weeks before that we had a girl tripping on acid molest (literally) one of our PCs. When the weather get's extreme, so do the people of the library!

    I really enjoyed your blog too! I'm taking management & genealogy, so I won't have much of a break, but I plan on having a blast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is where we break out the markers I guess?

    I'll see you in genealogy! Don't worry about management; I had it with Yang this semester and it was pretty fun depending on your definition.

    ReplyDelete