Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Digital Audio Formats

I've been a recording musician since the late 90s and was an early adopter to Mp3 technology. I started recording and editing audio on CoolEdit (now Adobe Audition) and since transitioning to Apple computers about five years ago now use Logic Studio, the open source Audacity, and Ableton Live to record and mix audio. I admit to sharing Mp3's and RealAudio "mix-tapes" through a private Ftp server that a friend ran in the mid 90s prior to the release of Napster (and later the more indie-music friendly Soulseek).

I only say this to say that I know my way around audio codecs, compression rates, etc.

But that's my "other life." For my day job I function as the Community Relations Coordinator for a large, mixed urban and rural public library system. When I am not performing my regular tasks I often have hours at our Reference Desk. Part of working in reference in any public library is leading continuing education classes such as "basic computing for seniors."

It was with continuing education in mind that I approached my PowerPoint presentation for MLIS-7500. I wanted to make sure that I demonstrated knowledge of the subject, but at the same time I wanted to make sure that I did not get bogged down into topics such as sample rates and why 96Hz audio using AAC compression has superior audio to an Mp3 at the same bit rate.

Without further ado:


No comments:

Post a Comment